Stewed Beef is a typical Guatemalan food. It has many ingredients that make it juicy and with a very intense flavor, which makes it the first choice for Guatemalan families at lunchtime, always accompanied by rice and avocado. This dish is known in Guatemala as "Guisado de Res Guatemalteco".
Like many recipes of traditional Guatemalan cuisine, this recipe is very easy and simple to make. If you have not had the opportunity to try it yourself, here is a recipe for you to prepare and share with your family and friends. Don't forget to enjoy this delicious dish with the traditional Guatemalan corn tortillas.
- 2 pounds beef to cook in medium-sized chunks
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil.
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon powder.
- 1 sprig thyme or 1/2 teaspoon thyme powder.
- 2 crushed cloves.
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground pepper.
- 3 bay leaves.
- 4 cloves garlic.
- 1 large onion.
- 10 large ripe tomatoes.
- 2 red chili peppers.
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour.
- 3 carrots cut into slices (each slice medium size).
- 2 large potatoes cut into slices (each slice medium size).
- Salt to taste.
- 1 ½ cups of water (to cover the beef)
- ½ cup of red wine
- ½ of olives
Step 1: In a large skillet, roast the tomatoes, onion, garlic, and bell peppers.
Step 2: Blend (with a blender machine) all the roasted ingredients that have been just roasted and add the flour, cinnamon, cloves, thyme and salt to taste.
Step 3: Place the olive oil in a pan, and then fry the meat on both sides to seal it, add the bay leaf, pepper and salt to taste while frying.
Step 4: Add the water and red wine and simmer for about 1 hour (or until the meat is soft).
Step 5: Add the sauce, carrot, potatoes (cut into slices) and olives and cook for approx. 15 minutes.
Now, it is ready to serve hot and accompanied by rice, avocado and corn tortillas. Enjoy !!!