The "Guatemalan Churrasco", or also known as "Churrasquito" has many traditional flavors of the typical Guatemalan food. It is a traditional dish for lunch, accompanied by rice, flipped beans, roasted corn, guacamole and the very important Guatemalan Chirmol.
The recipe for Guatemalan roast comes at family gatherings or among friends on open-air weekends, something similar to "weekend barbecues" in the United States, but with a twist of the typical Guatemalan flavor that It makes absolutely unique. Something that can not be missed is the Guacamol, made from avocados with oregano, chopped onion and lemon, the typical corn tortillas and the famous Guatemalan chirmol. Finally, for dessert, roasted plantains.
It is very important to note that the best way to prepare the "Guatemalan churrasco" is on a charcoal grill, it MUST be a charcoal grill, since the flavors of vegetables and meat are much more intense and delicious. There is no doubt that there is a big difference when compared to the flavors when prepared over regular gas or electric stove-grill.
For this churrasco, chirmol sauce cannot be missing... Chirmol is the most famous complement to all grilled meats in Guatemala. We guarantee you’ll love it. Chirmol is like a sauce, it is very traditional of Guatemalan cuisine and has been known for many many years, it is part of the menu not only for grills and roasted meats, but also for Guatemalan traditional breakfast.
Ingredients for the Guatemalan Churrasco
- 1/2 cup sour orange juice
- 1 slice of pineapple cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon shredded dried oregano
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds of meat (tenderloin or puyaso)
Ingredients for Chirmol
- 1 1/2 pounds of red tomato
- 1 large onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped mint herb
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander
- 3 small chiltepes peppers finely chopped (optional)
- 2 pounds of red radish finely chopped
- 1 purple onion finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped mint herb
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
Vegetables for Roasting
- 8 Onions with or without stem
- 4 white corn (not traditional sweet corn)
- 2 ripe plantains
- 2 peppers
- Make a marinade. In a bowl, place the meat, and add the pineapple into pieces, the juice of sour orange, oregano, black pepper and salt to taste. Let stand for 2 or 3 hours at room temperature. After that it will be ready for the grill.
- Light the charcoal and make sure perfectly hot for roasting. Before roasting the meat, you must roast the tomatoes and onions for the Chirmol sauce (find the instructions below).
- Place the vegetables for roasting on the grill (white corn, onions, bananas and peppers), not in the center but at the edges, this allows them to roast slowly, leaving in the center free to place the meat.
- Put each beef steak on the grill. Roast each steak to your favorite point. The cooking term of the meat depends on your own taste.
- Note : Don't forget to turn the vegetables around the grill. Use a “soplador” (typical utensil to blow air over the coals) once in a while to keep the heat high.
- After roasting the tomatoes and onions, cut into pieces, add the coriander, mint herbs, garlic clove finely chopped and salt to taste. That's it. The chirmol sauce is ready. Add the chiltepe peppers finely chopped if you wish.
- For the Radish salad, just mix all the ingredients for the salad and you are done.
To serve, place on a plate, a piece of meat, a roasted onion, a piece of roasted white corn, meat and roasted plantains. Serve all freshly roasted and still hot, accompany it with the radish salad and chirmol sauce to taste.
Do not forget to include on the plate, white rice, avocado or “guacamol”, black beans and corn tortillas. This will make your lunch unforgettable. Enjoy !!