This is not the traditional recipe for the delicious pumpkin pie that we all know originally from the United States, but it is rather a Guatemalan “cake or bread” version that was adopted over time. This is a dessert that is also enjoyed from October to December, during Halloween and the end of the year celebrations.
Pumpkin is only available during this time of year, which is why it is the ideal time to enjoy this cake, easy to prepare. The traditional name in Guatemala is "Pastel de Ayote". It is important to note that Guatemalan Pumpkin has a different texture and flavor from the already known one from the United States.
- 1 pumpkin (big enough to get 4 cups of pumpkin puree)
- 1 vegetable oil
- 5 cups of flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup of panela honey or honey
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 of natural orange juice
- Zest of orange peel
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts or almonds (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Cut the pumpkin into pieces and remove the seeds. Place them in a pot with enough water to cover and cook for approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat and water and let cool completely. Remove the pulp from the shell and make a pumpkin puree.
- If you don't find panela honey and you don't have honey. You can buy a piece of panela (the panela is obtained from the sugar cane) and melt it with a little water over low heat. Let cool completely and set it aside.
- In a bowl, mix all the dry ingredients. Flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- With a mixer machine, mix the pumpkin puree and brown sugar. While beating, slowly add the oil little by little. Then add eggs one by one and continue beating. After they are well integrated, add the flour mixture. Then, add the orange juice and honey and beat until everything is well mixed.
- Pour the mixture in a cake pan, previously greased and floured. Bake at 350 degrees Celsius for approximately 45 minutes. Do not forget to do the test of inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake to make sure that the cake is completely baked, the toothpick should come out clean. Note that a few small crumbs should be OK, remember that it is a fairly moist cake with a smooth consistency.
As a final touch, you can add a topping to the cake, that will certainly enhance the flavor.
This is it !
Hope you enjoy it !!!