Chicken Broth with Rice is a very traditional recipe from Guatemala for many years, it is commonly served for lunch. It is well known for having a very intense flavor. Its preparation is simple and easy to follow.
For its ingredients, you will notice that it is a dish that contains many nutrients and proteins, its unique flavor will leave you wanting to continue eating more. In Guatemala it is known that this dish will lift your spirits and gives you a lot of energy.
This recipe was originally brought from Spain during the time of the Spanish Colony, but as time has passed the recipe changed and was adapted to the ingredients of the region in Guatemala, until it became very unique to Guatemala and perhaps one of the most prepared dishes for Lunch in Guatemala today.
- 4 pounds of chicken cut into pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion cut in half
- 4 grains of allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 large carrots
- 2 güisquiles (peeled)
- 3 roman tomatoes
- 3 Corn cobs (ears of corn)
- 4 güicoys (tender ones)
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 sweet potato (medium size)
- 3 tablespoons minced mint peppermint
- Salt to taste
- Cooked rice
- Place the chicken in a large pot and add enough water, up to 3 inches above the chicken. Add half of the onion cut into 3 pieces, 2 cloves of garlic, allspice grains and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and lower the heat to cook then for 25 minutes.
- Cut the second half of the onion into strips. Cut the carrot, sweet potatoes, güisquil, güicoy and tomatoes into pieces. Corn cobs are split into 3 pieces each. Add all these to the pot, as well as coriander, mint peppermint and salt and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Serve in a bowl, accompanied by rice, avocado and a piece of lemon. Naturally, corn tortillas and perhaps a little bit of a traditional Guatemalan hot sauce if you wish.
Enjoy another traditional dish from Guatemala.