White Bean with Meat is a very well-known dish in Guatemala, it has been traditional dish for a long time. It is known that if you see a family celebration with Marimba music (the Guatemalan national musical instrument), it is certain that a bowl of White Beans is served on the table.
White beans have always been cultivated in Guatemala by farmers in agricultural production. In addition to being very nutritious, it is also known as a dish that gives a lot of energy. It is very easy to prepare, besides being very juicy. Some recipes include other dogs such as chicken, but the traditional Guatemalan recipe is with Pork Rib. It is accompanied by white rice, cucumber and avocado salad. Naturally, Guatemalan tortillas cannot be missing.
Ingredientes for the beans
- 2 pounds of pork rib.
- 1 pound white beans.
- 1 tablespoon of salt.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 head of garlic whole or to taste.
- 1 large whole onion
- Thyme sprigs.
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- Stuffed olives or capers (optional)
Ingredients for the sauce
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 3 tablespoons of chopped onion
- 8 peeled and chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 chile guaque
- ½ teaspoon achiote
- Salt and pepper to taste
Important note: to prepare the beans, you must let them soak with enough water from the previous night, so they will be soft and taste better.
- After leaving the beans in water overnight, drain them and place them in a pot with 2 liters of water, onion, garlic and bay leaf. If you use a pressure cooker, cook for 20 minutes. If you do not use a pressure cooker, cook 60 minutes (1 hour) or until well cooked.
- Cook the meat separately, in a pot with little water for 30 minutes or until it is soft, add 3 cloves of garlic to give it a little extra flavor. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, fry all the sauce ingredients. We recommend using olive oil for a much better flavor.
- Remove the meat from the heat and drain the water.
- Then, place the beans, the sauce, the meat, the sprig of thyme and sugar in a pot (NOT pressure cooker) and simmer for another 10 minutes so that the flavors are integrated together. Optionally, you can add olives or capers.
We have already finished !!
Accompany this dish with white rice, cucumber salad and some spicy chili. Now you can taste another typical Guatemalan recipe for lunch.