This is a recipe that is prepared, eaten and enjoyed throughout Guatemala. The meat stew of Guatemala is a very nutritious and delicious dish, although preparing it takes a lot of work, the result is definitely worth the effort.
Its main ingredients are meat, rib and vegetables; It is a dish accompanied with rice, avocado, chili and lemon. It is ideal for family sharing and special meetings. We guarantee you will feel full and satisfied. We explain the steps to prepare it below.
- 2 pounds bolovique meat or rib
- 1 pound Bone for broth, without meat (to add flavor)
- 2 güisquiles or peruleros cut into four pieces each
- 4 medium potatoes cut in half
- 3 medium carrots, cut into large pieces
- 2 turnips with leaves, cut into two or four pieces, do not cut the leaves
- 1/2 cabbage cut into several pieces
- 2 medium corn cut into three or four pieces
- Tender green beans, tied in three or four pieces
- 4 zucchini (small pumpkin) cut into four parts
- 1 large onion
- 1 cassava (yuca)
- 4 peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pepper cut into small pieces
- A few sprigs of coriander
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup of Celery
- 2 sweet potatoes or 1 cooking banana, peeled and cut into pieces
- Salt to taste
Before you start, always remember to wash all vegetables well.
- In a pot with enough water, place the meat cut into pieces, the bone to cook, two bay leaves, two cloves of garlic and salt. Cook for 2 hours. If you are a pressure cooker, then cook for 40 minutes.
- In a pan with oil, fry the onion, chopped tomato and two cloves of garlic and fry a little with salt. (sofrito)
- Then, add a little more water to the pot, and place the hardest vegetables to cook first, for example, cassava, corn and carrots. Also add the ‘sofrito’ (fried tomatoes and onion) Continue cooking for about 10 minutes.
- Pour the rest of the vegetables and ingredients and boil for another 15 minutes.
- Finally, serve in deep bowls, garnish with chopped parsley.
This dish is accompanied with pieces of avocado and rice or noodles if you wish and enjoy !!!
Note : As a healthy recommendation, we would like to suggest you to use organic and natural products to prepare your recipes. If you are in Guatemala, ask in Spanish: productos organicos guatemala .