The “chiles rellenos” (stuffed chillies) is another popular Guatemalan dish, it is well known and liked by the Guatemalans as well as foreigners, and is part of all menu at any typical food restaurants in Guatemala and Antigua Guatemala, it has an exquisite flavor, it is juicy and its key ingredient is the chili pepper.
There are many versions of this dish in Latin America, and although they have certain similarities, the Guatemalan version has some unique characteristics that distinguish it from the rest, including the golden coat in fluffy egg batter. This is a dish of Guatemalan cuisine that is easy to prepare, however, they require a lot of time. Because of its ingredients, it is considered the main course at lunch or dinner. The "Chiles Rellenos" are accompanied with rice, guacamole and the delicious corn tortillas.
Ingredients for the chillies
- 15 fresh chilli peppers
- 1 lb of pork (tenderloin)
- 1 cup of peas
- 1 cup of finely chopped green beans and carrots
- 4 peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of vinegar
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
- 6 to 8 eggs (it depends on the size)
- 2 teaspoons of flour
- pepper, salt, bay leaf and thyme
Ingredients for the sauce
- 10 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 chilli pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- Roast the chiles until mostly blackened, place them in a plastic wrap or in a ziploc bag for 10 minutes, peel and remove the seeds. Season with salt and pepper vinegar and let them cool completely.
- Cook the meat with a piece of onion, a clove of garlic, a bay leaf and salt to taste and crush it.
- Cook the peas, carrots and green beans seasoning with salt to taste.
- Prepare the mixture that we will use to fill the chiles with the chopped tomato, onion, garlic, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Add ground beef and cooked and drained vegetables.
- Fill the chiles with the previous sofrito and pass them through flour.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with a hand mixer or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Wrap chiles in the egg whites and cover all sides on each one and fry until golden-brown on both sides. It is recommended to over crowd the pan with chillies.
For the Sauce
In a saucepan, cook all the ingredients for the sauce with 3 cups of water. When cooked, let it cool, then blend with half the water it has. Once it has been liquefied, the sauce is simmering, adding a tablespoon of oil and salt to taste, for 15 minutes.
Serve your stuffed chilli with seasoned onion, oregano and chopped parsley on top, you could also add a bit of cheese as a garnish. You can accompany them with white rice, black beans or eat them with French bread.
ENJOY !!! We hope you like them.